Health Coaches: The Missing Link
Just What The Doctor OrderedHealth Coaches support clients with lifestyle modifications
Did you physician tell you to gain some muscle and stretch more? Did your therapist recommend you try yoga for anxiety management? Did your cardiologist recommend you implement a Mediterranean diet along with a low-intensity exercise program? A doctor may tell a patient to eat less, exercise more, take your medicine and come back in three months but not how to execute this plan. This is exactly why you would reach out for help.
Health Coaches Are Just What The Doctor Ordered
Doctors are advising patients to seek out Health Coaches to help implement their dietary and exercise recommendations.
A health coach mentors and guides their clients towards their fitness goals using a series of strategies including:
- Teaching movement techniques to prevent injury
- Developing personalized programming to keep fitness fun and engaging
- Motivating and encouraging clients to achieve their goals
- Tracking progress
- Providing accountability to keep clients focused on the long game
At Michael Baker Wellness, we view physical activity as an absolute necessity. Any way you choose to move your body is physical activity, and it’s essential to listen to what your body needs and choose movement that feels authentic, joyful, and supportive for you. It’s also important to know that putting your body in motion is a powerful act that benefits more than your muscles. Movement gets energy flowing, reduces stress, boosts mood, and can even sharpen your ability to focus.
Prioritizing physical activity is an act of self-love and self-care. By carving out time to move your body, you’re giving yourself the gift of energy, focus, and strength. Physical activity is bio-individual. You can create more space for movement in a way that feels natural, authentic, and enjoyable and adds to your overall quality of life. Your approach can be whatever works for you and will change and evolve over time.
Integrated HealthcareHealth Coaches: The Missing Link
As allied providers, Health Coaches play a valuable role in integrated healthcare, helping patients truly heal through implementing sustainable lifestyle changes in a well-coordinated effort across the care team. As a health coach, yoga teacher and personal trainer, I can teach you how and be on call to help whenever you have problems or questions.
I will give sound nutrition & physical activity guidance, advice and provide accountability. However, I am not qualified to provide advice regarding a client’s medical care or their treatment. This does not mean that I cannot work with my clients to achieve health goals, as many health issues stem from the overconsumption of sugar, processed foods, processed grains, processed oils, alcohol and living a predominantly sedentary lifestyle. Just as I did years ago.
I look to meet clients where they’re at, find out what’s holding them back and go forward from there. Together we come up with attainable goals and a plan that’s easy and accessible to implement. Small actionable steps. Nothing drastic! If you need help implementing a recommendation from your doctor, please reach out!
- I cannot diagnose a clients medical condition or disease.
- I cannot prescribe a diet to treat your medical or clinical condition.
However, I can:
- Implement specific doctor recommendations for diet, exercise and lifestyle changes
- Inform my clients that meat, fowl, fish and eggs are great source of healthy fat and protein. (given it's not from factory farming)
- Advise my clients on the benefits of sourcing organic or locally grown vegetables and seasonal fruits.
- Explain the health benefits of including healthy fats into a healthy diet.
- Coach my clients on the macronutrient composition of foods. (protein, fat, carbohydrates)
- Share recipes and meal ideas that can be incorporated into a healthy lifestyle.
- Educate my clients on the impact that grains, refined sugar and processed foods have on your hormones.
- Support clients with lifestyle modifications that help them navigate and improve their health and wellness
- Communicate with your doctors & specialists to align treatment recommendations
- Setup & Shop with them online via Amazon, Instacart, other Direct to Consumer websites and provide food lists for local stores.
8 Coaching Sessions to Sustainable Weight Loss for people over 40 years old. A personalized plan utilizing health coaching, mindful movement and healthy habits that supports your goals & lasts a lifetime.
Food is medicine. It can harm us or heal us, so learning what your body's unique needs are empowers you to better nourish and care for it every day.
Mindful movement & functional fitness instruction for your needs, abilities and goals. Build your physical strength while gaining mobility, clarity & stress-relief.
Athletic, vinyasa-based yoga instruction infused with a touch of weight training to strengthen your body and your mental focus.